It can be overwhelming to start decorating your living room as a completely new space. It is also an opportunity for you to claim that space as yours. A living room is one of the most important spaces in your home because it is the first room you see when you enter or leave your home. It is also the first room your family, friends, and other guests look at when they visit you. A living room can speak volumes about who you are as a person. This does not mean you have to do anything over the top. It just needs to be an inviting space for all.
Here are your 9 tips to make your living room the reflection of your home and personality!
- Show who you are: It is absolutely true that your living room is a direct reflection of who you are as a person. You do not need a huge pace filled with giant unmovable furniture. You need to have things that can tell people about who you are. If you like a minimalist home, even your living room would be like that. If you love bold colors, you need to know how to play them the right way so that it is reflected properly.
- Add your colors: It is not that colors will simply brighten up the room. Colors have a lot of power in them. They can make a room inviting and warm or make your home look loud and difficult to be in. It is ideal that you pick furniture that has neutral colors as that will go with every background and room in your house. However, it is the upholstery that you need to play around with. This is where you need to add in your neon pink, yellows, and lots of blues. These are some of the most vibrant colors that will make your living room furniture design lively and welcoming.
- Play around with texture: You can add any amount of cushions you want. However, human eyes are attracted most to a variety of shades, patterns, and textures. You can ensure that while you are only getting cushions for the couch. You can add so many textures to those cushions.
- Add a touch of your roots: This is the purpose of a living room furniture design; you get to show who you are. It is a very welcoming change that people now want to show exactly where they are from. This has allowed a lot of regional art and weaving forms to come back to life. You can never go wrong with a Madhubani painting or Lippan art piece in the background of your lovely home. This is a common theme in many homes as they do not want to cut their roots and keep them alive wherever they go.
- Mirror, mirror on the wall: You will be surprised to know how much the placement of the right light source and mirrors can do to make a room feel bigger. You do not need a lot. You simply need to place a few lamps and maybe a mirror right across one wall to enhance the feeling of the room. This just makes the room feel bigger and brighter. It also makes for a great setting for any occasion or evening party.
- Choose some practical and usable furniture: This is what many people miss out on. Of course, you need a beautiful living room to enter into, but you also need a space that has utility for you. You do not always need those bulky giant couches that no one can ever move. If you invest in a good sofa cum bed with storage, you have an extra bed and some space for storage. This is extremely handy for guests whenever they visit.
- An easy-to-maintain home: If you have children in the house or simply want to live a hassle-free life. Invest in upholstery covers that are water-resistant and easy to clean. They come in a variety of colors and textures. So, choose wisely. It is not important that you always have time to get your furniture professionally cleaned. You should just be able to vacuum up or clean it with a damp cloth. This allows you to maintain your home on a regular basis and all on your own.
- Choose the right rug: If all your furniture has been of a neutral palette, then your furnishings need to be of bold colors. However, the rug you choose is the final step to properly tying up your living room furniture design. It also has practical uses and not just aesthetic ones. Yes, you can go for the cover-to-cover, floor-covering carpet. However, here too, you have to ensure that you choose a material that is easy to clean. Rugs are important to give your living room that final touch and make it look complete.
- Always remember to mix light and dark: This should just be the basic guideline for whatever you want to add to your living room. A contrast will let you add all the elements you want, but it will also make it visually appealing. It is a lively yet calming environment. That is the only goal that will allow you to make these changes permanent. Otherwise, you will keep changing things again and again.
The only important aspect of designing your living room is that you experiment and have fun with it. Explore all your options before you take a call on what exactly you need. It is okay to take your time with it and ensure that you make the right decision for yourself because these are not things you will engage in daily. So, whenever you make a decision, you must be completely okay with it.